Entertainment Design - Week 4

29/1/19 & 31/1/19 (Week 4)
Seoh Yi Zhen (0328497)
Entertainment Design
Assignment 1 Progression

PRESENTATION

Presentation 1 (29/1/19)

What is the art of motion graphics and how is it used?

Research



Presentation Slides



Feedback
Slides and videos should be downloaded beforehand in case there are network connectivity issues on the day of presentation. Although the art direction of the slides is quite consistent, there is too much text and too few visuals, which can bore the audience. Instead of using written text, we should explain our points by showing the audience and only including a few important keywords. A good rule of thumb to follow is to have the slides change every 5 seconds. Content-wise, we missed out on quite a few uses of motion graphics under the umbrella of broadcast design. We also should have included a lot more examples for each category. Overall, it was a good effort considering it was only our first presentation.

ASSIGNMENT 1

After confirming my ideas and sketches with Mr Mike last week, I began the process of digitally illustrating my poster.

Fig. 1.1: Finalized sketch.

Fig. 1.2: Digitized sketch.

Fig. 1.3: Rough paint.

After roughly figuring out what I wanted in my poster, I began working on the background. This part was probably the most challenging for me as I didn't have much experience drawing environments.


Fig. 1.4: Photobashing the city skyline.

Fig. 1.5: Changing the composition.

Fig. 1.6: Adding more details.

At this point, I felt stuck and didn't know how to progress with my work. I knew that something about the composition was off, but I wasn't sure what exactly. After asking around and getting feedback from some of my friends, I decided to change the composition again.

Fig. 1.7: Finalized composition.

The new composition looked much better compared to the previous one. I also changed up the pose of the main character to make it more dynamic, as if she's actually jumping up in the air.


Fig. 1.8: Adding more details to the environment.

Fig. 1.9: Painting on some frost-like texture.

Although I managed to finish the main artwork for the poster, I didn't have time to add the video game title and the rest of the necessary information. I also didn't get to show Mr Mike my progress, which is why there is no feedback for this week. Fingers crossed that he'll like my work when I meet him next week.

REFLECTION

Experience
This was probably the most fun yet challenging week so far. On one hand, it was nice to finally draw again after so many semesters of only vector illustrations; on the other hand, drawing environments was really tough for me as, like I mentioned before, I didn't have much experience with them. Hence, it took me a long time before I was finally happy with how everything looked. It was a good learning experience for me though, because this project pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to draw stuff other than just characters.

Observation
As I was creating the artwork, I realized that a full year of not painting really affected my skills and made me quite rusty. It was definitely a wake-up call for me to keep practicing and to not be lazy or complacent. But on a more positive note, I noticed that my momentum is slowly building up again after a long week of break. Hopefully it continues until the end of the semester because I don't think I can afford to waste anymore time. 

Findings
Photobashing is a technique sent by the gods themselves. It's honestly such a lifesaver especially for inexperienced artists like myself. Not only does it save a lot of time, it also adds another level of detail and realism that might be hard to achieve through painting alone. I guess this is why the technique is so popular among concept artists.

Comments

Popular Posts