Entertainment Design - Week 6

12/2/19 & 14/2/19 (Week 6)
Seoh Yi Zhen (0328497)
Entertainment Design
Assignment 1 Progression & Assignment 2A

PRESENTATION

Presentation 2 (14/2/19)

What types of animation are there in the industry? How influential is animation content?

Research


Presentation Slides



Feedback

Huge improvement compared to the first presentation. However, there are still some things we could improve on in terms of the content. For example, we should have explained the history of how traditional animation led to 2D animation, and later 3D animation. Although everything after that was organized quite nicely, adding the history would've made the presentation flow a lot smoother. As for the influence of animation, we missed out quite a bit as we did not mention the games industry at all. Overall, it was a pretty good presentation with a meaty amount of content.

ASSIGNMENT 1

Before I proceed, I realize I never actually explained the meaning behind the name "Atali". When I was looking for names for my video game, I came across a Yup'ik Eskimo Dictionary. I was reading through some of the pages and found the Yup'ik word for guardian- a word that pretty much embodied the main character of my game. However, the original Yup'ik word was too long, so I shortened it to only the first three syllables.

Fig. 1.1: A page from the Yup'ik Eskimo Dictionary.

Now back to my assignment progress. When we came back from our Chinese New Year break, I showed Mr Mike the illustration that I did. He said that the artwork looked good, but was missing a bit of that "ancient tribe" feel. Hence, he suggested I add some traditional Yup'ik writing if I could find it. And thus my research began again.

Image result for yupik writing
Fig. 1.2: Central Alaskan Yu'pik language.

Fig. 1.3: Before.

Fig. 1.4: After.

After completing the main artwork, I proceeded to design the logotype for my video game title. Rather than just using an existing typeface, I decided to create a custom logotype inspired by Yup'ik tattoos which symbolize the role of a “guardian” or “assistant”. In the Siberian language, these marks are also called yugaaq or “powerful person”. The main reason why I chose this is because it ties in with the narrative of my game, and it also makes the typeface more unique. To aid letter recognition, I also added a dot in the middle of each "A".

Fig. 1.5: "Guardian" or "assistant" tattoos.

Fig. 1.6: Logotype sketches.

Fig. 1.7: Finalized logotype.

Once the logotype was done, I added it into my poster along with some other necessary information about the game. And with that, my poster was finally finished and ready to be submitted.

Fig. 1.8: Final poster.


ASSIGNMENT 2A

Assignment 2A – Group Project to produce an event promotional Microsite Mockup

The Brief
Produce an original event’s Microsite Mockup Design

Duration of Assignment
2 Weeks

DEADLINE
Week 4

Description and Requirements
Produce a Microsite Mockup in digital format for a fictional and original event. You may use the same event from your Assignment 1, which must be agreed as the group choice. The event of choice must have enough depth and scope to provide for various promotional executions, be it above the line, below the line, through the line or on-ground, online or in-app implementations. The selected media mix of choice should be based on effective targeting.

The Microsite Mockup should adhere to industry standard web grid system and need not involve coding. A digital composition is expected as the end result detailing every interactive and navigation function with informed rationalization of design and user experience.

You are expected to be as original as possible in your design and idea conceptualization.

Submission
The Microsite Mockup must be submitted in .psd format together with the A4 design journal documenting every interactive and navigation function with informed rationalization of design and user experience. As this is a partial submission, please compile all 3 parts (Assignment 2A and B) before submitting officially via the provided upload link.

PROGRESS

After explaining to us the assignment brief, Mr Mike had us do some initial research on microsites. 

Essentially, a microsite is a single webpage (or rarely, a very small collection of webpages) that stands apart from an organization’s main website (Mehring, 2017). They are content worlds unto their own, and the reader doesn’t have to go any further to get the message. Ultimately, the goal of a microsite is to communicate a single, compelling message that, once understood, incites the reader to take action.

Examples of microsites:

TheCapitol.pn
Fig. 2.1: TheCapitol.pn.

Waterloo: The Film
Fig. 2.2: Waterloo: The Film.

Fig. 2.3: Our World campaign.

My groupmates for this assignment were Chloe, Felicia, Chia Ying and Alvin. Upon some discussion we agreed to work with Chloe's event—the debut European tour of garage rock band Wildflower. We got the go ahead from Mr Mike and were advised to do some research on existing microsites relating to our event.

Fig. 2.4: Chloe's event poster.


REFLECTION

Experience
I can't believe I'm finally done with the first project. Because there was no set deadline, I kept taking my own sweet time and dragged the project on way longer than I should have. To be honest, I really don't think 6 weeks is necessary just for a single poster, but I guess my laziness and procrastination got the best of me this semester.

Observation
Throughout the whole duration of Project 1, I noticed that my biggest challenge was in illustrating the main artwork. As I'm not really used to doing these kinds of digital paintings, it took me a long while until I was finally satisfied with how everything looked.

Findings
Maybe this is just me being a nerd, but I really liked reading up about the Yup'ik tribe, including their clothes, tattoos, and even language. From the preliminary research, I felt that all my findings came together and created a strong impression of an ancient Alaskan tribe in the poster.

REFERENCES

Reference List

Jacobson, S. (2012). guardian. Yup'ik Eskimo Dictionary (2nd ed.). Alaska Native Language Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks. Retrieved from https://uafanlc.alaska.edu/Online/CY972J2012/Yup'ik_Eskimo_Dictonary_Vol_2.pdf


Krutak, L. (2000). TATTOOS OF THE HUNTER-GATHERERS OF THE ARCTIC. Retrieved from https://www.larskrutak.com/tattoos-of-the-hunter-gatherers-of-the-arctic/

Mehring, J. (2017). 17 Great Microsite Examples for Driving Buyer Interest - SnapApp. Retrieved from https://www.snapapp.com/blog/17-great-microsite-examples-driving-buyer-interest/

Photo Credits

Comments

  1. Thanks for giving us the opportunity for leaving comments, this made possible for us to share our social profiles with you. bullet news

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts